Scarsdale Health & Wellness
Weight Loss Provider & Acupuncturist located in Westchester County, Scarsdale, NY
Microneedling also referred to as Collagen Induction Therapy, has become a popular anti-aging, and hair growth procedure. During treatment we will be using a professional powered microneedling device that uses tiny needles to make microchannels or injuries in the skin, and/or scalp to then stimulate hair production, collagen, and elastin formation, the building blocks of skin tissue.
Microneedling Q & A
What is treatment like with Microneedling?
Microneedling pen uses sterile, individually-sealed, disposable needle cartridges for optimal patient safety and comfort. Every microneedle tip is actually made of a group of tiny needles, which use proprietary technology to penetrate vertically into the skin. These micro-skin channels carry up to 80% more topical nutrients applied to the skin during the treatment, allowing for deep penetration into the dermal fibroblasts, feeding the cells found in the dermis and basal layers. This increases the absorption of active ingredients into the skin such as Stem Cells, stimulating repair at a cellular level and accelerating the regeneration of the skin’s epidermal cells.
What are the Benefits of Microneedling?
- Improves fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Reduces acne scars
- Softens stretch marks
- Evens skin tone
- Lightens hyperpigmentation and sunspots
- Reduces the appearance of pores
- Firms and smooths skin texture
- Heals scars
- Reduces broken capillaries and spider veins
- Increases the production of new hair growth on the scalp
- Brings back the glow for fresher, younger-looking skin
Am I a good candidate?
Because Microneedling is minimally invasive, doesn’t cause significant wounding to the skin, and isn’t light-based, most people can safely undergo micro-needling therapy with minimal risk of long-term adverse effects. Typically, important factors such as age or skin color don’t matter. Even areas of the body where the skin is typically thin can undergo treatment because the depth of penetration is consistent and easily regulated.
What can I expect before and after treatment?
Microneedling offers amazing benefits to getting and keeping your skin beautiful, but like any good skin procedure, there are important before & aftercare instructions that you will need to follow to get the most out of your skincare treatment.
It is important to discontinue the use of Retin A, Retinols, Vitamin A creams, BHA, AHA’s, and other active skincare products for 3-5 days before your Microneedling treatment. Please avoid any prolonged sun exposure to the desired treatment area 24 hours prior to your treatment, because a Microneedling treatment can not be administered on sunburned skin. Additionally, if you are planning to receive any toxins or fillers, make sure that you give yourself at least 2 weeks post injections before receiving your Microneedling procedure.
Immediately after your treatment, you will look a bit red, your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. You may also notice some slight swelling, both are normal and should subside after 1 to 2 hours. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the treated area, 24 hours post-treatment you can use a gentle cleanser and tepid water to cleanse the face, and gently dry the treated skin. We highly recommend serum, and/or Hyaluronic Acid post-treatment, as its properties are ideal to help heal, and hydrate the skin. As for protection we recommend you apply a broad spectrum UVA/UVB, SPF 25 or greater sunscreen to your skin. A chemical-free sunscreen is preferred. Keep in mind that you should continue to use sunscreen everyday, not only on the days following your procedure but as part of your skincare routine to protect your skin from sun damage and premature aging.
Additional Microneedling Aftercare Precautions
- For at least 3 days post treatment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula), or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare.
- Do not use any powered cleansing brushes like Clarisonic for one-week post treatment.
- Avoid intentional and direct sunlight for 72 hours. No tanning beds.
- Do not apply makeup for 72 hours after the procedure. In addition, do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if the brush is not clean.
- Do not go swimming for at least 72 hours post-treatment.
- Do not exercise or participate in strenuous activity for the first 72 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments in general are harmful and filled with bacteria, which may cause adverse reactions in your skin.
Are there any risks?
The risk involved in Microneedling treatments is typically minimal. After a treatment, dry skin or red discoloration may occur, which will typically subside within a week.
I’m Interested! What’s My Next Step?
Our professionals. At Scarsdale Health & Wellness look forward to working with you. Request your consultation to learn more about Microneedling and other skincare options.